Lunenburg County

Lunenburg County was formed 1 May 1746 from Brunswick County and named for George II, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, a title derived from a German possession of Hanoverian kings of England. Lunenburg lost land in 1752 with the creation of Halifax County, in 1754 with the creation of Bedford County, again to Bedford in 1755, and to the formation of both Charlotte and Mecklenburg counties in 1765. Charlotte County returned a portion back to Lunenburg in 1777. There are 443 square miles contained within its borders. Its county seat is located in Lunenburg.

 

Military